We are our kids’ role models. If we are not in the habit of reading, chances are they may not. If you’ve ever struggled with what to occupy your kids’ ages 11-12 everyday, try getting them the books or magazines on topics they enjoy. There are millions of books out there. Not all of them are created equal.
In fact if you walk in the aisles of your local Barnes and Noble bookstore, you might find some of the suggested titles for tweens and teens today are quite dark. What do we mean by dark?
Vampires, evil, witchcraft and many of the likes… How do you determine what’s best for your children who are independent readers with their interests more defined and who are ready to embark on a journey of being a teen and into young adults?
Here are 5 websites to get a list of recommended books and ideas for kids:
The habit of reading is not a natural process. At Total Wellness we believe readers are raised. Here are 5 ways to raise a reader in your home:
1. Bring them to the library and bookstore to pick up the books they like (with supervision).
2. Make books available at home at all times.
3. Read to them and you (parents) have the habit of reading.
4. Create a book discussion or talk about the books you’ve read.
5. Make reading a family goal.
Here are 15 recommended books and magazines for kids ages 11-12:
1. Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis
2. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
3. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
4. Red Rock Mysteries Series by Jerry B. Jenkins and Chris Fabry
5. New Sugar Creek Gang by Pauline Wilson and Sandy Dengler
6. Young Women of Faith series by Nancy Rue
7. Mandie series by Lois Gladys Leppard
8. National Geographic Kids Everything series by National Geographic
9. National Geographic World History biographies series by National Geographic
10. Ramona series by Beverly Cleary
11. The Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney
12. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery
13. National Geographic Kids magazines
14. Highlights magazines
15. Discovery Girls magazines
Our children grow up really quickly. Their formative years are short. Compiling a book list for children ages 10 and above may not be that easy since their interests are more defined at this age. An understanding of your child is important to help them discover the pleasure and joy of reading.
Some kids are more mature at this age and are more advanced readers. Every child is created uniquely different and learning processes are different as well. The above list is just a suggested list. Please use the listed websites to find out more on reading materials that are available for your child.
Please share with us if you have other resources to help our readers who have children of this age group. We appreciate your input. Please leave your comment below.
Disclaimer: This information is not meant to diagnose, prescribe, treat or cure any illness or disease. It’s strictly for informational, educational, or entertainment purposes ONLY. The products I talk about are not meant to diagnose, prescribe, treat or cure any illness or disease. Any information I give you about them is for informational or entertainment purposes only. They have not been evaluated or approved by the FDA. Please seek the qualified health professional of your choice when making health decisions for yourself, your family and your pets.